Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Londid and the search for Something Rotten

A lot has happened in the last month (I cannot believe it's been a month already), so I'll do my best to give a thorough update which will be broken into several posts. Perhaps a good place to start would be the beginning...

On January 18th, I left for what would be an unbelievable four days in London, England with Steve Fisher. He's studying abroad there with a program called BADA, which is a drama academy. After a busy day of finishing packing and saying goodbyes, I boarded the plane, which had the name "Lady Penelope" painted beautifully on the front, confirming that I was in for an incredible trip. After arriving in Heathrow, I breezed through customs (it was 6:45am), found my way to the Heathrow express, headed to Paddington station and was greeted by the most quintessential of dreary British mornings. The only thing I remember after getting to Steve's is the couch in the living room I collapsed on for a much-needed nap. Steve had class during the first 3 days I was there in the mornings and afternoons, so I took advantage of these times to sleep in, explore on my own, and meet up with several friends in the area.

I tried to do many of the touristy things before I left--I saw Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's Cathedral, walked on London Bridge, had fish and chips, went to the British Museum, toured The Globe, and, of course, had many pints with friends. 




I also got a chance to see my friends Melissa and Caroline from Brown for an evening and had dinner with two of my former Lake Greeley Camp counselors, Noel and Lauren--who live in England. Four days flew by, and before I knew it, I was off for Copenhagen with a 7am flight out of Heathrow. Of course, the taxi I booked 3 days prior cancelled on me at 4:45am that morning, so after frantically finding another, I get dropped off at Paddington station only to find that the Heathrow Express has been closed due to unexpected electrical maintenance. This led to me sharing a cab with 4 very nice strangers and making it through (barely) security just in time for my flight. I know many do not agree with me; however, there is no better feeling for me than starting a trip with everything clicking into place just in the nick of time. And so it was with my trip to Copenhagen. I do not believe my much smaller plane out of Heathrow had a name painted on it--I was undoubtedly too exhausted to look--but at this point I'm fairly certain I would not have been able to pronounce or understand it regardless.
 
 Tune in next time (hopefully tonight) as I continue recounting my Danish adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment